Chapman University undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty are invited to submit their work. Two entries of any writing or art genre are accepted from each student or faculty, and students/faculty of any department or major are welcome to submit. Submissions will be reviewed immediately following the deadline. After the selection process, our editors will work directly with writers to further develop and fine-tune the selected works.
Calliope is currently CLOSED for submissions.
Check back soon for our Fall 2019 submission deadline!
- Must be a current Chapman student (undergraduate or graduate) or staff/faculty.
- Limit two (2) entries per submitter (i.e. two writing pieces OR two art pieces OR one writing piece and one art piece).
- Please refrain from titling pieces “Untitled.” If you are uncertain about a title, please use the first line in the piece as the title. Art submissions must include titles as well.
- Before submitting the form, include one (1) short contributor’s note (regardless of how many pieces you submit). This must be written in the third person and can describe you/your work in general, as well as your major and class level. This will be published alongside your work if it is accepted.
- Calliope does not accept previously published material. If your piece has been published in another literary or art journal (a physical or online journal/magazine), please do not submit it for our consideration.
- All submissions must be set through this JotForm link here. Submissions sent via email will no longer be accepted.
Writing Submission Guidelines
Genre: You may select the genre of your work from the drop-down menu on the submission form or type it in if it’s not listed. Be sure to pick the genre you feel best reflects your piece, because the labeled genre will affect the literary conventions by which our editors read your piece.
We accept the following genres of work:
- Experimental fiction
- Experimental poetry
- Flash fiction
- Prose poetry
- Stage play
Format: Calliope does not have required format for literary submissions. The format in which your piece is submitted will likely be the format of the piece if it is printed in our book, though some adjustments may be made between you and your editor during the revision process. Our book is 9″x6″ and text is printed single spaced.
Delete your name or other personal information from all documents, as Calliope submissions are read anonymously. If selected for publication, pieces will no longer be anonymous, as writers will be revising with one or more of our editors. Please submit your works as separate files, i.e. do not submit two works in one document or the second piece will not be considered
Length: Written submissions have no minimum word count required and can be up to 3,000 words maximum. Pieces that exceed the maximum word count will not be considered.
File Type: Writing must be submitted as one of the following file forms: .doc, .docx, .txt, or .rtf. We do not accept .pdf or .pages. If an exception must be made for the formatting of your piece, contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting your work.
Art Submission Guidelines
Medium: You may select the medium of your art from the drop-down menu on the submission form or type it in if it’s not listed. Be sure to pick the medium you feel best reflects your piece, because the labeled medium will affect the artistic conventions by which our art editors consider your piece.
Each submission may include additional details (no more than 10 words) of the mediums used, where the photo was taken, and/or the original dimensions of the work.
We accept the following mediums of work:
- Digital art
- Graphic design
- Mixed media
- Traditional art
Format: For optimal formatting, the minimum digital image size we accept is 1600×1200 pixels. If submitting traditional/physical artwork, ensure that the image is either scanned or captured with a high resolution camera. Please submit your works as separate files, i.e. do not submit two works in one document or the second piece will not be considered.
File Type: Art must be submitted as a .jpg, .jpeg, or .png. If an exception must be made for the formatting of your piece, contact email@example.com prior to submitting your work.
Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note that submissions will no longer be accepted via email. Any submissions received via email will be redirected to the submission form.